Civil Engineering/Cracks formation near column nod bricks joints

QUESTION: Hello sir
I recently purchased a individual house and after that I constructed on that 3floors ( G+2 and a pent house )
and completed successfully but the problem starts after 6months . Near ground floor around the building, cracks are formed in between the column nd brick Joints. Now I'm worried what to do and how to solve the problem. The cracks are formed inside the building and outside also
I hope u understood question sir.

ANSWER: Hi Vinay,

Its very difficult to explain without more information about the structure and additional floors. The problem may be due to settlement of foundations, possibly the brickwork is not supported on ground beams, so there is differential settlement.

QUESTION: Thank you sir for ur answer,But is it any solution like chemicals or removing the plastering near column Nd bricks and install plaster mesh and pack it by plaster again ????

Hi Vinay,

Yes, once the cracks have stabilised (measure them over a  period of a few weeks, you can remove the plaster for say 75mm each side of the joint between column and wall, nail in 150mm wide strip of expanded metal, and then re-plaster. That should eliminate the ugly cracks!

Civil Engineering

Arshad Khan

I can answer any questions to do with civil and structural engineering consultancy and construction industry in East Africa and the Middle East, and specifically with the analysis and design of reinforced concrete structures. My particular expertise is in the aseismic design and optimisation of tall buildings.

Employment history: 40 years in Construction and consultancy in the UK, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia, Eritrea, South Africa, Somalia, Zambia, Austria, Bahrain, Kuwait, Doha and the U.A.E.

.Fellow of Institution of Structural Engineers (UK) .Fellow of Institution of Civil Engineers(UK) .Member of the Institution of Engineers, Kenya .Registered Engineer, ERB, Kenya .Member of the Architectural Association of Kenya (Engineers Chapter) .Chartered Engineer (UK)

•1984: International Conference on the Art and Practice of Structural Design, London •1994: 3rd Int. Kerensky Conference in Structural Engineering, Singapore •2008: International Conference on High-Rise Towers, Abu Dhabi •2013: IEK International Conference, Kisumu, Kenya

BSc, 1st Class Hons, in Building Engineering, University of Bath, UK MSc in Concrete Structures and Technology, University of London. Diploma of Imperial College, UK.

•Science Congress Special Award (for 2-seater Hovercraft - 1968) •Institution of Civil Engineers Award for outstanding performance at Bath University (1975) •Concrete Society Postgraduate study Bursary Award (1976) •Consular Representative for British High Commission, Nairobi. (1995 to 1998) •Examiner for Institution of Civil Engineers Professional Interviews, Nairobi. (1997 to 1998) •Branch Representative in Vienna for PI assessment for Inst. of Struct. Engrs. (1999 to 2010)