Civil Engineering/eathquake load

Question
QUESTION: Vx (EQX) & Vy (EQY) should be equal?!
(analysing a model in Etabs)

ANSWER: Dear Fakih

No need to be equal generally . It depends on you structural system in both directions.

Regards
BEH

QUESTION: Thanks for the reply...
My building isnt symetric so it's normal to have Vx(eqx)# Vy(eqy)?!
can I continue!? (static analysis on etabs 2013)

Answer
Dear Ibrahim

2 main reasons exist: 1: first mode of vibration period in 2 directions 2- The reduction factor in 2 directions.

If you have a significant anti symmetry you cant use the static analysis as finishing method and you must use modal-spectral method or time history ( dynamic methods) to complete and check the results. But I suggest that you have the static method as the main method in every situation because it is more significant and leading to better investigation in general. Details must be checked by sophisticated methods as I stated above.

Regards
BEH

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi