Civil Engineering/openings in slabs

can openings be made into a already existing slab of a building, what kind of analysis is to be performed? can modelling a plate element in any fem software like staad or safe with the openings beneficial to understand the behaviour of the slab.(consider the slab as two way solid slab).

Dear Sufiyankan3

You can introduce any oppening in anywhere in anything providing that the analyses show you that the openings dont influence the reliability of the structure in an unfavorite way. You shall consider the dimension of the opening a bit bigger ( 40 times the diameter of bigest bar cut by opening in each side) in the structural model.

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran