Civil Engineering/openings in slabs

Question
can openings be made into a already existing slab of a building, what kind of analysis is to be performed? can modelling a plate element in any fem software like staad or safe with the openings beneficial to understand the behaviour of the slab.(consider the slab as two way solid slab).

Answer
Dear Sufiyankan3

You can introduce any oppening in anywhere in anything providing that the analyses show you that the openings dont influence the reliability of the structure in an unfavorite way. You shall consider the dimension of the opening a bit bigger ( 40 times the diameter of bigest bar cut by opening in each side) in the structural model.

Regards
BEH

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi