Civil Engineering/structural engineering

Question
I AM DESIGNING A RAFT FOUNDATION FOR A CLASS ROOM BLOCK MEASURING 13.3 METRES BY 39.39 METRES. STRUCTURAL GRIDS ARE 3.6 METRES LONGITUDINALLY AND 3.6, 5.11 AND 3.6 METRES IN THE WIDTH.
I HAVE INTRODUCED DOWNSTAND BEAMS ON THE GRIDS AT 3.6 METRES SPACING. WHEN I ANALYSE THE BEAMS AM GETTING AWKWARD RESULTS IN THE AMOUNT OF STEEL REQUIRED, AND HAVE NOTED THAT IT IS DUE TO THE COLUMN LOADS. WHAT IS THE BEST SOLUTION FOR THEES RAFT BEAMS?

Answer
Dear Mike

Usually to avoid such a over reinforcement may need to restrain the column load using cast in place piles or to make use of spread footing. in such a way the needed resisting moment is provided by soil reaction or removed by axial action instead of shear mechanism.

Regards
BEH

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi