Civil Engineering/Aci 318 clause 21.12.2.2

Question
Dear Babak,
Clause 21.12.2.2 of aci 318 states: " Columns designed assuming fixed-end conditions at the foundation shall comply with 21.12.2.1 and, if hooks are required, longitudinal reinforcement resisting flexure shall have 90-degree hooks near the bottom of the foundation with the free end of the bars oriented toward the center of the column".          My question is what is the reason behind this requirements ?, is it required in all codes? And where does it apply ?

Thank you

Answer
Dear Ayman

The provision is to make sure that the assumption of fixed end columns is correct. As I know this is a general advice in almost all codes. But an engineer may design its own way to reach to a target. They are not strict if you can think about your own situation. The codes advices are for the case no more sophisticated resolution is manipulated by the engineer.

Regards
BEH

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi