Civil Engineering/area spring

QUESTION: Dear sir,
Please explain me about the use of area spring in SAP 2000.

Thanking you!

ANSWER: Dear Niranjan

Suppose you have to model a foundation along with the structural model. Then you need to define a support under the foundation or even a spring network. For an area you can choose an area spring which is in fact a more accurate model for the soil effect unfer the foundation. This spring is like a spring network inside a medical matress.

QUESTION: If we are modelling a basement wall using area spring then do we need to do static non linear analysis in place of static linear analysis?

Dear Niranjan

No need to do that unless calculations show evidence of tension in springs. I never suggest to do nonlinear analysis due to the uncertainty and hard work needing of the field . Instead I suggest to perform a step by step static analysis along which the tension springs are being removed to modify the model.

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran