Civil Engineering/ETABS

Question
Dear Sir

Can you pl  explain the pier  and spandrel with regard to assigning them to shear wall....

Answer
Dear Priyantha

When you get a wall with opening, meshed, you can label all the wall elements as pier. Piers are shear wall elements and perform as shear wall. But the elements of wall which can be perform like a girder say the upper or lower opening elements may be labeled simultanuously as spandrel and the reinforcement of them can be more condensed. Then for such elements which can perform as a girder you can label as spandrel simultanuously and use the more condensed reinforcement. Obviously for a wall without opening there is no need to label as spandrel.

Regards
BEH

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi