Civil Engineering/ETABS


Dear Sir

Can you pl  explain the pier  and spandrel with regard to assigning them to shear wall....

Dear Priyantha

When you get a wall with opening, meshed, you can label all the wall elements as pier. Piers are shear wall elements and perform as shear wall. But the elements of wall which can be perform like a girder say the upper or lower opening elements may be labeled simultanuously as spandrel and the reinforcement of them can be more condensed. Then for such elements which can perform as a girder you can label as spandrel simultanuously and use the more condensed reinforcement. Obviously for a wall without opening there is no need to label as spandrel.


Civil Engineering

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi


I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!


I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran

©2017 All rights reserved.