Civil Engineering/Concrete I beam

Hello Sir,
Could you help me with this problem:
Consider 2 concrete sections; First one is an I beam as a unit cross section, and the other one is an I section again but this time with 2 parts in which the bottom part of the section is not connected to the upper part (so in this case we have a T beam and the bottom part). How can you explain the structural behavior of these two different sections when they act as beams?

Many thanks

Dear Hessam

When no connection exist between 2 parts then no shear exists between them . Then they perform independently. Then in your example the moment resistance of the non connected I beam is equal to moment resistance of a T shape beam + the moment restance of a narrow rectangular beam which is different in respect of an integrated I beam. The I beam resistance is greater in regular situation.

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran