Civil Engineering/form work/RCC

I understand that the time for de-shuttering is normally 7 days for slabs up to a span of 3M and 14 days beyond 3M. This time is probably allowed for concrete to gain adequate strength for shuttering to be removed. By this logic, the time required for concrete to gain strength is not dependent on form work. Then how come Mivan/Aluminium Form work maker claim to remove shuttering of all RCC members after 3 days of casting? Please explain.

Dear Sushil

For special cases you can remove the form work provided that you introduce enough and adequate piles or supports to prevent the member from excessive deformation or stress. If the Mivan form maker has such an idea it is not out of logic. Otherwise you should ask them for an appropriate explanation regarded the provisions.

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran