Civil Engineering/Moments

Question
"Sir,

Please explain briefly  difference between in plane and out of plane moment in context to a Slab , Beam , Wall , Column , Bolt and Weld using simple concepts.

Answer
Dear Arsalan

Each body is subjected generally to 3 moments in each of its nodes. For a wall or a frame member you have 3 moments in each nodes. when you subject a wall to a force parallel to the plane of the wall,  a moment develops in the plane to withstand the force. When you lean against a wall the moment is developped in ortogonal plane. This is called an out of plane moment. The third moment is twisting which is not your problem here.

Regards
BEH

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi