Civil Engineering/foundation quality for further construction

Hello Sir,

We are planning to buy a built house with two floors which is of eight years old. I am planning to construct one more floor on the existing structure. Builder does not have the original design of the building on foundation etc. he says that It is column beam construction with mat footing foundation.

I just wanted to get your suggestion how can I verify that that the  foundation is in good condition by inspecting the general condition of the building to further decide on the construction.

best regards,

Dear Mamatha

To find wether a building is ok for further construction need documents and investigations and otherwise you may work on a very unreliable foundation. I suggest you to unveil the foundation to check the very situation for your first move.

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran