Civil Engineering/linear and non linear

Question
Dear sir can you please explain me about linear elastic and non linear elastic material.And whats about the linear elastic analysis and non linear elastic analysis.

Thanking you!

Answer
Dear Niranjan

Linear elastic material doesnt really exist in the nature  but it is an idealization to simplify the analyses. Then Normally there is not an advantage to follow a nonlinear elastic modelization unless the accuracy of calculation governs it. There are several nonlinear models but they are not elastic even in low strains, like Clough model for bending moment in RC. A nonlinear elastic  model can be very good fitted the uplift in foundations or elastic buckling or P- delta effect in a structure.

Regards
BEH

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi