Civil Engineering/question about steel connection

steel connection
steel connection  
Hello eng. Hakimi

please , i have attached a picture for two same problem for bracket connection , i do not have big experience in steel and i need to know what is that thing ( in red circle ) ?? i have to know what it is and imagine how it connects with members to be able to solve it .

Dear Hassan

I consider 2 options for this shaft.

1- It is not a load bearing designed member. Then you dont need to consider it in your calculations. It is for mounting purposes.

2- It can be designed to reduce the shear applied to the bolts and then the bolts can be designed essentially to carry the overall moment.

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran