Civil Engineering/Foundation on filling.

Dear sir,
I am constructing a seven storyed building with raft foundation in hilly area.The area of building extends after reaching first floor in both left and right wing.Due to the site condition during the construction of ground floor, excessive excavation occurs and now to maintain the level of building at right and left wing, the foundation of extended portion will lie on the filling portion.Is it possible to construct the raft foundation on the filling? If yes what type of material should be used and what is procedure for filling work so that the bearing capacity and settlement can be limited in allowable limit.
Thanking you!

Dear Niranjan

Fillings under foundation shall be devellopped according to  standards like Aashto. The general procedure is:

1- to test the filliing material to find the optimum water content of the material
2- to pour the optimum amount of water on wet material
3- pour and compact the subbase in layers of 15 cm thickness.

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran