Civil Engineering/etabs spandrel end supports

Question
QUESTION: Dear Sir,
Good Day :
Could I consider the ends of spandrel connectiong to the core walls in the openings as hinged instead of fixed.Thanks so much .Regards

ANSWER: Hi Ravi,

Hinges at the ends of spandrels are difficult to achieve, unless they are very shallow in depth compared to the span. I would say that if the depth:span ratio is more than 0.2 to 0.25 you cannot detail it to behave as a hinge without complicated introduction of movement joints (20 to 25mm compressible joints say for the top and bottom 1/3 depth)

QUESTION: Dear Sir,
Would I able to consider for a partial fixity(50%).One of my projects my spandrel beams are failing in shear stress(span 1.5m..spandrel 300x120).I have restriction to keep core wall to 30cm thickness.Please advice.

Answer
Hi Ravi,

If shear is the problem, trying to do what you are suggesting will not help much- in fact it may increase lateral drifts beyond limits.

Have you tried the following options:

1. Introduce X-rebar, which takes most of the shear as resultant C&T forces

2. Thicken up just the spandrels (outwards, so lift shaft is not impinged), although this will make the construction and rebar detailing more complicated.

Option 1 is much preferred.

Civil Engineering

Arshad Khan