Civil Engineering/Liquid retaining structure

Question
QUESTION: Dear Sir,

I would like to clarify if the basement whose top level is at +0.5m and founding level is at -4.5m and the top level of water table is at -1.0m is this qualified as water retaining structure?

Any provision in reference to a code?

Thanks and best regards,
Rari

ANSWER: Dear Rari

I dont understand what you mean by water retaining structure. Please explain me more.

Regards
BEH

QUESTION: Dear Sir,

Thank you for your clarification request.

In my case,the basement wall is used actually to retain the soil surrounding the building of the excavated soil.The water will be present as the ground water table is at -1.0 M.

The question is the wall can be qualified as water retaining structure?

Rari

Answer
Dear Rari

The water retaining is not much more complicated than the soil retaining but this depends on the type of soil to be retained. For your problem you may need to have a RC wall or even a masonery one with a designed thickness for this purpose. But it is very essential to prevent the water to penetrate inside and to drain water around the structure.

Regards
BEH

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi