Civil Engineering/column buckling

Question
QUESTION: dear sir,
 kindly be asked , what is the minimum width for rectangular column to avoid buckling if the height(column free height) was double high equal 8.00 meter and without any middle beams and another ask if this column was poured with 50 cm width ,this case will be dangerous .be informed that total dead and live load and others concerning on this column were calculated not more than 400 ton.
all the best,
zyad naser

ANSWER: Dear Zyad

A minimum of 30 cm will provide a lowert limit for the width of the column. I guess a visual dimension of 40-45 cm will be satisfying.

Regards
BEH

QUESTION: Dear BEH,
I want to thank you for your  great interest but i speak about buckling and its relationship between its height and column minimum width so my question was if
column width 50 cm and column height 8.00 meter it will be safe for buckling.
thanks
zyad

Answer
Dear Zyad

You must analyse the column and you cant choose the width according to a general idea. But as I stated before a 30 cm width could be ok , but after exact analysis according to the material and general view of the design and not as a prescription.

Regards
beh  

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi