Civil Engineering/Favorable and unfavourable actions

Question
If a wind load(lateral) ,Representative certificate  permanent action(vertical) and an imposed load( vertical) acts on a bracing, can wind load be taken as a favourable action??
Please tell me if you know
Thank you

Answer
Dear Danu

There is no absolute favorite action. The lateral load can make a favorite situation for some members while it makes an unfavorite situation for others. For example a vertical loading make the bracings be suppressed under compression stresses. The lateral loading makes one of the diagonals to behave in tension which is somhow favorite and add the compression in the other diagonal which is not wanted. Then there is no strict favorite action.

Regards
BEH

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi