Civil Engineering/WIND RESONANCE AND ITS EFFECT ON STRUCTURES

Question
QUESTION: DEAR SIR,

I WANTED TO KNOW WHAT WIND RESONANCE IS IN GENERAL, AND SINCE GOOGLE IS UNABLE TO PROVIDE A SATISFACTORY ANSWER I HAVE COME TO YOUR HIGHLY CAPABLE SELF TO RESOLVE MY QUERY. MY QUESTION IS IN THE FOLLOWING PARTS:

1. WHAT IS WIND RESONANCE?
2. IF WIND RESONANCE DIRECTLY PROPORTIONAL TO OR RELATED TO WIND SPEED?
3. WHAT EFFECT WOULD WIND RESONANCE HAVE ON A CHIMNEY SET UP IN A FACTORY    IN A COASTAL REGION WHICH IS NEARLY 110 MTRS. IN ITS HEIGHT.
4. IF ALL MATERIALS USED IN THE CONSTRUCTION OF SUCH A CHIMNEY ARE UP TO THE STANDARDS OF THE INDUSTRY, THEN STILL CAN WIND RESONANCE ALONE CAUSE A STRUCTURAL FAILURE?

I REQUEST YOU TO KINDLY ANSWER MY QUERY AS PER YOUR CONVENIENCE.
THANKING YOU
HARSHUL SINGH

ANSWER: Dear Singh

please take a look at following addresses and then let me know if you had any further problem:

http://www.inti.gob.ar/cirsoc/pdf/accion_viento/200704.pdf

http://ivy.cppwind.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/The-Nature-of-Wind-Loads-Dynam

REgards
BEH

QUESTION: Dear BEH,

Thank you for the timely response. The first link provided by you in your response is not working and the second link does not answer my basic queries like what wind resonance basically is and the basic effect it has on tall structures. I understand the mathematics involved, but actually need a much more basic understanding of the issue.

Kindly provide some basic understanding of the topic concerned for me.

Thanking You
Harshul Singh

Answer
Dear Singh

Wind doesnt have resonance but its intensity fluctuates with respect to time . Then its effect is likely dynamic and it is applied with a relatively low frequency to the building and its outer components. If the frequency of variation of wind loading is near the natural frequency of architectural elements like windows and glasses or other components it may make the component to resonate.  The best way to prevent components to show resonance is to be sure that the component is behaving relatively rigid.

Regards
BEH

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi