Civil Engineering/wind &earthquake

Dear sir,
firstly, i want to ask about how we can avoid wind and earthquake together in high rise building if it is preferred to start with shear wall from raft then transfer it to column to avoid earthquake while ,the vice versa in case of avoiding wind.
second, do the concrete have an influence on reducing or dealing with shear forces.
thanks a lot

Dear Zyad

For earthquake or wind resisting design you need a lateral support like bracing or shear wall. There is no need to consider wind a earthquake simultanuously if you had this in mind. You should design under windand then check under seismic action or vice versa. Normally no reduction happens when you design under a loading unless in the case of dampers and high damping materials in the case of earthquake design which are used to reduce the earthquake effects. Then members and materials bear the loads and dont reduce them, normally . A shear wall is a well defined member to bear wind loading.

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran