Civil Engineering/temp.stress in etabs

QUESTION: Dear sir,
Good Day
May I know the value of uniform temperature change that I need to use in etabs according to ACI .Do I need to include effects of point temperatures? Thanks so much for your valuable advice.Regards.

ANSWER: Hi Ravi,

There is no such value in ACI- you just need to judge whether temperature is an issue that needs consideration. In most building structures of small to medium size, its not a problem. In very long structures (say more than 40-50m), you may need to consider temperature differentials between outside exposed structures (roof, external beams) and the inside cooler structure.

Same applies to tall buildings- differentials between external exposed columns and internal ones.

Good Day :Thanks so much.But in my case my G+10+R having length of 80 m and I should consider temp.stress.My question is how I can get an approximate value to provide in it (1)Is it okay to provide value of zero in the space intended for uniform temp.change?(2) Do I need to consider all the members for the temp.stress.(3) Is it okay to consider the load combination 1.2(DL+TL)+1.6LL,as there is no mentioning of temp.load combination either in ACI-318 or ASCE-7(4)If then, do I need to provide 1.2TL in both static and dynamic load combinations...I am so appreciate for your valuable advice to get an idea and clear this doubt.Thanks so much...

Hi Ravi,

You should consider 2 scenarios- one during construction, whereby the inside temperatures will be shade temperatures, whilst outside will be surface temperatures (high); after occupation the inside can be considered a steady 18-20 degrees, but outside will depend on any insulation or covers/cladding, etc.

As for combos, please browse my past Q&A using keywords temperature/ETABS/temperature load and you will find some answers.

Civil Engineering

Arshad Khan

I can answer any questions to do with civil and structural engineering consultancy and construction industry in East Africa and the Middle East, and specifically with the analysis and design of reinforced concrete structures. My particular expertise is in the aseismic design and optimisation of tall buildings.

Employment history: 40 years in Construction and consultancy in the UK, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia, Eritrea, South Africa, Somalia, Zambia, Austria, Bahrain, Kuwait, Doha and the U.A.E.

.Fellow of Institution of Structural Engineers (UK) .Fellow of Institution of Civil Engineers(UK) .Member of the Institution of Engineers, Kenya .Registered Engineer, ERB, Kenya .Member of the Architectural Association of Kenya (Engineers Chapter) .Chartered Engineer (UK)

•1984: International Conference on the Art and Practice of Structural Design, London •1994: 3rd Int. Kerensky Conference in Structural Engineering, Singapore •2008: International Conference on High-Rise Towers, Abu Dhabi •2013: IEK International Conference, Kisumu, Kenya

BSc, 1st Class Hons, in Building Engineering, University of Bath, UK MSc in Concrete Structures and Technology, University of London. Diploma of Imperial College, UK.

•Science Congress Special Award (for 2-seater Hovercraft - 1968) •Institution of Civil Engineers Award for outstanding performance at Bath University (1975) •Concrete Society Postgraduate study Bursary Award (1976) •Consular Representative for British High Commission, Nairobi. (1995 to 1998) •Examiner for Institution of Civil Engineers Professional Interviews, Nairobi. (1997 to 1998) •Branch Representative in Vienna for PI assessment for Inst. of Struct. Engrs. (1999 to 2010)