You are here:

Civil Service/Getting a job with an Other Than Honorable discharge


raneman wrote at 2007-09-07 03:30:48
Yes! I recieved an (OTH)Other than honorable discharge in 1988 and i've been working for a company that has a contract with the government to haul the mail. Now,allthough i'm not working directly for the post office I still had to go through the governments security check to get the postal badge.So I can say for sure that you can work for a company that is contracted to the government,however working directly for the government may be a different story. good luck hope this helps.

Logan wrote at 2012-11-29 01:34:34
To be honest, my friend's father works for SOCOM. He says he's worked with contractors who have gotten BCD's and Dishonorable discharges.

So it may weigh against you, but he also told me "Your discharge matters to an extent, but what is the worst thing they can tell you...No?"

Civil Service

All Answers

Ask Experts


Tracey Drake


If you need timely answers to any question relating to your career search, I can assist you. My areas of expertise include federal resume writing (including all federal resume formats, KSA, SES, ECQ, and Resumix format for Army, Air Force and Navy) as well as job preparation, interview questions, and issues that affect career change and military to civililan conversion resumes


I have worked within the career services industry for many years. My company, DLCS, operates,, and, and to date we have assisted more than 10,000 job seekers with their resume and interview preparation needs.

Invited expert at (resume advice, college admission advice, and careers advice) Certified platinum Expert Author at (Resume Writing and Career Advice) Paid resident expert writer at on the topic of Hiring Opportunities in the Careers/Employment section.

BA in English MBA in Marketing

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]