Clarinet/Clarinet Buffet Crampon

Question
QUESTION: Hi, I want to buy a used buffet clarinet made in 1975.  It has been refurbished.  The person who had it redone spent 500 dollars.  She is currently asking 1300 for it.  Plus and extra hundred for a new barrel and it hasnt been played on very much.  I am wondering if this is a good deal or not.??

ANSWER: Hello Isabel,
If the clarinet in question is the R-13  model, and it has just been overhauled[ judging by the  $500. spent on it] then yes, it could have  a sale value of $1300. or more...You did not send  a serial number so I can look up the model....Cheers....JACK

QUESTION: Hi Jack,
Here's the serial number: 157402
The clarinet is not an R 13.
Also, is the extra barrel worth a 100?

Thank you.

Answer
Hello Isabel,
According to Buffet serial number lists, clarinets with the serial numbers between 153324-163567 fall into the R-13 range and are from 1975.....Buffet clarinet barrels retail for up to $190.00 and more but can be found on EBAY for $100.00, which is good buying.   If you play clarinet and know what quality clarinets feel like, this will help you with your decision...Perhaps you should ask to see the $500 receipt for the overhaul and also seek a good player who can try the instrument...You can check serial numbers at "Clarinet Perfection' .com        Cheers   JACK

Clarinet

jack wiard