Clarinet/chromatic fingerings

Question
Hi Rebecca

I teach clarinet and do not use the fingerings of for 1st line eflat- LH 2 fingers plus the long key played the 3rd finger
and i don't use for 1st space f# LH thumb plus RH side (3rd key)
I feel they are out of tune and awkward to play
Please give me your feed back
Thank you

Bernie

Answer
Hi Bernie,

Those fingerings only feel awkward at first because you are unused to playing them.  Even if your alternate f# is flat on your instrument, the alternate fingering serves a purpose. Many times a note goes by so quickly that a slight intonation issue is undetectable. I find alternate fingerings very useful in a variety of situations. Why ignore a tool that is there for us to use? Give them a sincere effort yourself before writing them off, or you risk doing your students a real disservice.

Sincerely,

Rebecca

Clarinet

Rebecca