Clarinet/Value of a Clarinet

Good morning!  I am trying to assess the value of a clarinet that was donated to our conservatory.  It is a Buffet Crampon  E11 "Made in Germany" 539549 (serial #?)

Any help you could give is much appreciated.

Hello Vickie,
Buffet E-11 clarinets are regarded as very good student level clarinets,usually made of wood... New retail prices range from $1200-1400, depending on the retail outlet...On Ebay, you can find these clarinets for $400-900, depending on age and condition....The serial number of this instrument indicates manufacture in 2003 or so, not old for a good student clarinet....As to value, it all depends on condition of the pads,corks,springs, and carry case...If all of these are very good,the value could be up to $700.00, [keeping in mind that it is possible to buy a professional level clarinet in poor condition on Ebay for as little as $350, spend $450 .on a complete overhaul and new case and have  a clarinet worth $1500-2000]...I know, I have done this many times myself....Cheers   JACK

jack wiard

my 'area of expertise' is traditional jazz...i have had classical training...i am from san francisco,came to australia in 1971 to teach h.s. music...resigned to play full time music in 1975 [to present]

i have played with the graeme bell allstars [25 yrs] ray price quintet [5 yrs], led own groups [20 yrs]..played in all the major australian jazz festivals, played 2 yrs with local symphony most recorded jazz clarinetist in oz [39 recordings]..can be heard on you tube

on committee of clarinet soc. of n.s.w for 7 yrs...[now defunct]

a.a. degree,b.mus degree, secondary teaching credential