Clarinet/Clarinet for daughter?

My daughter has just started high school (year 7) and has joined the school band at first clarinet. She has been playing for 3-4 years now using a resin beginners clarinet and has mainly taken to playing jazz music although she will be playing other music as part of the schools concert band.

I am looking to buy her an intermediate clarinet and would prefer a wooden instrument for her next step. I am currently considering 2 instruments I have found for sale. A 1949 Selmer N series as well as a 1950's model Noblet Artist. Both of these have a price of $500 and have been serviced. The Selmer comes with a Gregory Smith mouthpiece (purchased in 2006) and BG L2 Tradition ligature.

Would you consider either or both of these instruments as being suitable and am I heading in the right direction for her next instrument?

Kind regards

Hello Craig,
Both these instruments are of intermediate standard..Between the  two, I would pick  the Selmer...When/if your daughter upgrades to a pro-level instrument, the Selmer has more name recognition and holds value a little more....Cheers....JACK

jack wiard

my 'area of expertise' is traditional jazz...i have had classical training...i am from san francisco,came to australia in 1971 to teach h.s. music...resigned to play full time music in 1975 [to present]

i have played with the graeme bell allstars [25 yrs] ray price quintet [5 yrs], led own groups [20 yrs]..played in all the major australian jazz festivals, played 2 yrs with local symphony most recorded jazz clarinetist in oz [39 recordings]..can be heard on you tube

on committee of clarinet soc. of n.s.w for 7 yrs...[now defunct]

a.a. degree,b.mus degree, secondary teaching credential