Clarinet/Pedler Co.

Question
I have a clarinet from my sister. It is a(probably) ebonite The Pedler Co.  Elkhart In...serial number E25372  just wondering when it was made and if you know of an approximate valu. It is in very good shape but not with the original case. It has a pro-Tec case. Thanks so much

Answer
Hello John,
I could not find any published full lists of Pedler clarinets,though they may exist..I can tell you that Harry Pedler was a German instrument maker who moved to the USA in the early 20th century...He worked for Conn instruments before forming his Pedler Instrument Company in 1919...This company made metal,ebonite and wood clarinets until the late 1950s.   As to value,I have never heard anyone refer to Pedler  clarinets as pro-level...If yours is ebonite, it would be student level as to playability compared to modern instruments...Many trad musicians like the Pedler metal clarinets...The value of these early clarinets are usually as low as $50. to as high as $300., though a metal Pedler clarinet in perfect condition has sold for asd much as $1500....Your instrument would probably come from around 1930  [5 years either way] and be worth up to $200. in todays   market....Cheers   JACK

Clarinet

jack wiard