Clarinet/Value Old Buffet Clarinet

QUESTION: My parents bought me a new wood Buffet Crampon and Cie Paris Clarinet in about 1941. I have keep it in the carring case with my saxaphone. I had an operation which does not allow me to be able to play it anymore.  I am 82 now and would like to pass this on.  How do I find out what it is worth??

ANSWER: Hello Mr s,
Buffet clarinets hold their value well and the price keeps rising as well...Howerver, your clarinet is at least 70 yrs. old...Your question  implys you do not hacve a carry case for the clarinet but you keep it in the case with the sax...It would be more difficult to sell with  a case , which can be found on Ebay  FOR AROUND 50-70 DOLLARS...With a new case, if this 70 yr. old clarinet is in good condition, it would be worth at least  500. dollars....Cheers    JACK

QUESTION: When I asked the question i forgot to add the serial number.
If it makes any different?  the Number is 27701.
The clarinet and the sax are in a duel case, in fine shape.
Fran S.

Hello again,
The bulk of my answer would stay the same...Double cases such as yours are very useful in transporting instruments to jobs...If you sell, you will be looking for someone to buy 2 instruments instead of one, and/OR  to buy [the clarinet w/o  a case]...The serial number you provided  comes from 1945  [clarinets 27001 to 28000],so your clarinet is actually 4 yrs  younger than you thought....Cheers....JACK

jack wiard

my 'area of expertise' is traditional jazz...i have had classical training...i am from san francisco,came to australia in 1971 to teach h.s. music...resigned to play full time music in 1975 [to present]

i have played with the graeme bell allstars [25 yrs] ray price quintet [5 yrs], led own groups [20 yrs]..played in all the major australian jazz festivals, played 2 yrs with local symphony most recorded jazz clarinetist in oz [39 recordings]..can be heard on you tube

on committee of clarinet soc. of n.s.w for 7 yrs...[now defunct]

a.a. degree,b.mus degree, secondary teaching credential