Clarinet/Buffet Eb Clarinet

QUESTION: Hi. I've recently come across a Buffet Eb Clarinet and wanted to know what it might be worth. The Bell has the Buffet/Crampon logo, made in france, HP, H BETTONEY, Boston Mass. The  upper part of the body has the BC stamp with HP below, the lower body has the Buffet logo. From what I've read, it has a wrap around register key. The barrel has a trademark label of the words "trade",then a vase with a bird on top, the the workd "mark". The mouthpiece is stamped "Rene DUVAL, PARIS. Would be able to give me a history lesson on this? Thanks

ANSWER: Hello Jay,
I would want a serial number  before I investigate further.....Cheers   JACK

QUESTION: Thanks Jack, sadly I can't find any serial number anywhere. I've used a magnifying glass to go over the body but can only find what I've reported. From what I've been able to dig up, H Bettoney was an American importer in the late 1800s to early 1900s. Websites with serial number look ups only seem to start around 1913. Cheers, Jay

Hello Jay,
Sorry I could not be of more help...If there is  a serial number, they are usually on the underside of the lower joint of the  instrument, where it attaches to the bell, or on the top of the lower  joint  [underside]  where it attaches to the upper joint....or sometimes they are found on the bottom underside of the top joint....You might also try another expert on this list....Cheers   again....JACK

jack wiard

my 'area of expertise' is traditional jazz...i have had classical training...i am from san francisco,came to australia in 1971 to teach h.s. music...resigned to play full time music in 1975 [to present]

i have played with the graeme bell allstars [25 yrs] ray price quintet [5 yrs], led own groups [20 yrs]..played in all the major australian jazz festivals, played 2 yrs with local symphony most recorded jazz clarinetist in oz [39 recordings]..can be heard on you tube

on committee of clarinet soc. of n.s.w for 7 yrs...[now defunct]

a.a. degree,b.mus degree, secondary teaching credential