Clarinet/Clarinet - Pan American GC Conn Rosewood

Aloha Jack:  

In the early 60's I wanted to learn to play clarinet in elementary music class.  My father took me to a pawn shop in Indianapolis Indiana to browse musical instruments.  We found the most beautiful all-wood rosewood/teak color clarinet; he purchased the instrument in hopes that I would pursue music, however he wouldn't be out too much money if I decided to pursue another instrument.  

I continued to play the instrument through the late 60's when my private clarinet teacher decided that I needed a better clarinet;  He hand-selected a black Selmer (Leblanc?) clarinet, which I remember my parents referred to as an investment.    I kept the Conn clarinet as I really did enjoy the sound of the instrument, as well as the number of comments that folks made when they would see the unique brown instrument.  

Alas, the black clarinet is long gone, however I ran across my clarinet while packing to move to Hawaii.  The number is 108822; the silver is tarnished yet still is good shape; pads/corks are still visibly in good shape, wood is in EXCELLENT condition. This clarinet is all-wood, and the inside of the clarinet is the same color as the exterior.  I originally had a glass mouthpiece for the Conn, however it would appear that I retained my Leblanc mouthpiece, made in France.    I would like to again pursue playing clarinet.  Is there any value to this unique piece beyond the obvious sentimental value of nearly 50 years of ownership?  Should I have it restored?   If so, how would I go about getting the instrument restored?   Any information/education you can offer is deeply appreciated.  Signed,  Aloha from the Hawaiian Islands

Hello Kat,
I have seen no references to a Pan American clarinet being any higher than intermediate grade  instrument...They also made metal clarinets...As these clarinets were made in  the 1920s and 30s, they would not have the response of more recent clarinets, and they would also have more intonation issues...I have seen a few of these rosewood clarinets..They do look nice...With this in mind, it is up to you if you want an overhaul restoration...Just look for a music instrument repairman who does clarinets, and ask for a quote for a restoration to make it play as good as new...Expect to pay anything from $250-400, depending on the work done and who does it...If the instrument were in near new condition, it would be worth $500-600. [being intermediate standard and not a 'mainstream ' name clarinet [SELMER/LEBLANC/BUFFET/EATON/ROSSI]...These lesser known instruments are also harder to sell because  of lack of name recognition.....Cheers    JACK

jack wiard

my 'area of expertise' is traditional jazz...i have had classical training...i am from san francisco,came to australia in 1971 to teach h.s. music...resigned to play full time music in 1975 [to present]

i have played with the graeme bell allstars [25 yrs] ray price quintet [5 yrs], led own groups [20 yrs]..played in all the major australian jazz festivals, played 2 yrs with local symphony most recorded jazz clarinetist in oz [39 recordings]..can be heard on you tube

on committee of clarinet soc. of n.s.w for 7 yrs...[now defunct]

a.a. degree,b.mus degree, secondary teaching credential