Clarinet/est. value and age of clarinet

I have a clarinet that belonged to my father, (DOB 1920-Died 1977).  He was a jazz musician and also played the piano, tenor sax and alto sax.  I am interested in obtaining more detailed information re the clarinet.  It has been kept in its original case, has the marking F. Barbier Paris with what looks like a letter "B" logo in between Barbier and Paris. It has the numbers 2291 and 195 on the lower section and 2291 on the upper section.  It is made of wood with silverplated hardware.  Surprisingly, it has no cracks, warps or damage and appears to be in good condition. But it has not been played since several years prior to my father death.  I'm just wondering if it would be wise to restore it to operating condition if I am only going to display it (most likely in a glass case).  I would like to keep it as an item to pass down to my grandchildren.

Hello Lorna,
Florentin Barbier [1869-1935] was a French instrument maker. Most of his clarinets were student grade ,made between 1905-1935, so your clarinet would be within these dates....I could find no serial number lists for this brand. Barbier was bought out by Selmer and he worked for them in the 1930s, making the BARBIER clarinet, which was the low end student line from Selmer...You can find these instruments on EBAY for $40-200.00.   It costs up to $400. to overhaul a clarinet, which would then  be worth $200. after the overhaul...If this is for sentimental reasons, it is worth it. Investment wise/music wise,it would not be a good investment.    Cheers............JACK

jack wiard

my 'area of expertise' is traditional jazz...i have had classical training...i am from san francisco,came to australia in 1971 to teach h.s. music...resigned to play full time music in 1975 [to present]

i have played with the graeme bell allstars [25 yrs] ray price quintet [5 yrs], led own groups [20 yrs]..played in all the major australian jazz festivals, played 2 yrs with local symphony most recorded jazz clarinetist in oz [39 recordings]..can be heard on you tube

on committee of clarinet soc. of n.s.w for 7 yrs...[now defunct]

a.a. degree,b.mus degree, secondary teaching credential