Clarinet/value of clarinet

Question
QUESTION: I need to know the value of my daughter's clarinet

professional R-13 B Flat, german silver keys new cork and pads, van buren mouth piece

was owned by Michael burgess who was the first clarinetist for the New York Philharmonics, many years ago

there is a number 8187 engraved in the barrel

ANSWER: Hello Michele,
The serial number on the barrel would indicate  manufacture in 1931...The Buffet R-13 started  production in 1955, with serial numbers of around 52,000 or higher...You should use the serial number on the main body of the instrument, found on the bottom of the joint that fits into the bell, and/or on the top piece of the main body [or the bottom piece of the main body]...where the two main pieces join together...You can get back to me when you have located these numbers. Cheers   JACK

QUESTION: I found the serial number. It's 61547
So according to your answer , this would be an R13
It is pure German silver , not plated
It is a genuine van burden mouth piece

Answer
Hello again Michele,
Thank you for getting back to me with the serial number... It would be an R-13 from 1959;[one of the earlier  models]....Given the 'pedigree' of the instrument [owned by a New York Philharmonic Orchestra member, who would have taken good care of it], I would value it at %1,200.00, if in excellent condition...New R-13 clarinets are around $4,000, depending on key options and retailer...Used, you can find them on EBAY for $1,000. and up, depending on age and condition....Cheers     JACK

Clarinet

jack wiard