QUESTION: I have a vintage buffet crampon & cie a Paris made in frace academy edition clarinet and have 2 questions.

1: how much is it worth I got it for $40 and it has no cracked in the wood I have all the parts but the corks need replacing and it needs tuned all the parts say buffet crampon & cie a Paris academy model exempt the part that you put the reed on and blow into. It doesn't say accadamy model whitch brings me to my next question.
2: is the part that doesn't say academy model still part of the same clarinet as the other pieces it also doesn't say made in France. Also how do I find out if it really is vintage? And it came with a Leblanc reed caddy. If u know what the contents are called please tell me. Thanks!

ANSWER: Hello Chris,
I would need the serial number of this instrument for further consideration..This can be found on the undersection of the clarinet and where ther pieces join together...Cheers   JACK

QUESTION: The clerical number is 86155.

Hello again Chris,
Thank you for getting back to me with the serial number...It was manufactured in 1965...When Buffet came out with their R-13 model [still one of the finest clarinets around], sometimes there would be minor flaws [area of keywork not polished/slight discoloration in wood etc]...Rather than retool and spend time fixing these minor problems, they would call these clarinets 'Acadamy model' and sell as a student clarinet...In fact ,most of them play like an R-13 in spite of the name stigma..It sounds like your clarinet needs a bit of work..I would suggest an overhaul, which would renew everything and make it like a new clarinet...In this condition, [for the $300-400. overhaul]  it should be worth at least $1000. a new mouthpiece can be bought on Ebay for $30-200., depending on type, though if you are selling, many would use their own mouthpiece anyway.  You may have bought well...Cheers   JACK

jack wiard

my 'area of expertise' is traditional jazz...i have had classical training...i am from san francisco,came to australia in 1971 to teach h.s. music...resigned to play full time music in 1975 [to present]

i have played with the graeme bell allstars [25 yrs] ray price quintet [5 yrs], led own groups [20 yrs]..played in all the major australian jazz festivals, played 2 yrs with local symphony most recorded jazz clarinetist in oz [39 recordings]..can be heard on you tube

on committee of clarinet soc. of n.s.w for 7 yrs...[now defunct]

a.a. degree,b.mus degree, secondary teaching credential