Clarinet/How much is my Selmer Clarinet worth?

Hi.  I was just going through my closet and came across my clarinet that I played in
Junior High back in the early 90's.  We bought this clarinet used from the music store and I remember my band director (who also played in the Austin Symphony) used to say that was a great Clarniet and harder to play than other ones.  I don't know if I want to re-sell or not just because of sentimental values. Here is the info on it: Signet Special Selmer Elkhart Indiana.  It has all of the pieces, still in the Selmer case.  The serial number is 40680.  Can you tell me an estimate of what you think it is worth?  Thanks so much!  Julie

Hello Julie,
The Selmer Signet Special ,Selmer Signet 100, and Selmer Signet Soloist [best of the three] are all intermediate grade instruments and play reasonably well,similar to the Noblet 45 by lEBLANC...Selmer does not publish complete serial number lists but  num. 38,000 is from 1993 so your instrument would probably  be from that year or 1994...[I would say 1994 for resale purposes]...So many of these were made that now you find them on EBAY in big quantity...The most expensive is listed  at $700 [brand new] with some recently overhauled at $500-600.Most are in the $50-200. range....I would say that if the clarinet has been sitting around  for years,not being played or oiled, it would most likely have issues [dried out pads,leaks]...I would suggest you look at Ebay to compare your clarinet with other listings...You could probably expect around $200.00     Cheers    JACK

jack wiard

my 'area of expertise' is traditional jazz...i have had classical training...i am from san francisco,came to australia in 1971 to teach h.s. music...resigned to play full time music in 1975 [to present]

i have played with the graeme bell allstars [25 yrs] ray price quintet [5 yrs], led own groups [20 yrs]..played in all the major australian jazz festivals, played 2 yrs with local symphony most recorded jazz clarinetist in oz [39 recordings]..can be heard on you tube

on committee of clarinet soc. of n.s.w for 7 yrs...[now defunct]

a.a. degree,b.mus degree, secondary teaching credential