Clarinet/Selmer Clarinet

I was wondering if you could help me find out the model number of my son's clarinet. It was purchased a few years back and all I have is the Selmer USA stamp on the metal part of the mouthpiece, and what appears to be a serial number, P0024988. I've tried looking on various websites and none seem to have this serial number series. I wonder if it's a serial number at all. Any help on identifying the model number and value would be appreciated.
Thank You.

ANSWER: Hello Yanely,
A serial number on the mouthpiece would not be the s.n. for the clarinet...If the clarinet is very old, sometimes the s.n. can wear and/OR be hard to read...The usual place for serial numbers on the clarinet would be on the underside,on the bottom joint [where the clarinet joins onto the bell/end of the instrument]...Serial numbers can also be located on the lower joint and top joint,where they connect together....If you find them, please get back to me, and specify if the clarinet is made of wood and the general condition of the instrument...I may be able to 'guestimate ' a price but probably not a model number because the Selmer sites do not have detailed or full lists of numbers on line, as you have discovered....Cheers    JACK

QUESTION: Oh, I didn't clarify that that number is not on the mouthpiece. It is near a joint where it joins another piece. I don't believe it is made of wood, it looks like a black type plastic. And I would say it's in good condition, it's not scratched or damaged in any way. It's been stored for about 5 yrs, in it's case.Thank you for responding.

Hello Yanely,
One Selmer serial number chart I found says the "P" series of clarinets was made in 1952-3-and4..When you purchased your clarinet, was it new?...I can tell you that the plastic clarinets are student level...If you check Ebay prices for plastic clarinets, they sell for  between $30 and $350....Sorry I could not offer more definitive help....Cheers     JACK

jack wiard

my 'area of expertise' is traditional jazz...i have had classical training...i am from san francisco,came to australia in 1971 to teach h.s. music...resigned to play full time music in 1975 [to present]

i have played with the graeme bell allstars [25 yrs] ray price quintet [5 yrs], led own groups [20 yrs]..played in all the major australian jazz festivals, played 2 yrs with local symphony most recorded jazz clarinetist in oz [39 recordings]..can be heard on you tube

on committee of clarinet soc. of n.s.w for 7 yrs...[now defunct]

a.a. degree,b.mus degree, secondary teaching credential