Clarinet/Buffet Clarinet value

QUESTION: I am considering selling my Buffet Clarinet, serial # 40139, circa 1955-57, in very good condition. What is the approximate value?

ANSWER: Hello Jerry,
Your clarinet serial number is from 1954....It is called a 'pre R13 model'....If in overhauled condition,they are wonderful players and should fetch up to $1,500...I sold one of these models [in a new case]for that amount about  one year ago and the buyer [and I] thought he got a bargain....They play very much like the R-13 but with a bit more volume.....Cheers    JACK

Hello again,
On rechecking your number while answering another question, I found I had misread your serial number...The year should be 1950....The rest of my answer stands though...These 1948-1954  models are very nice to play,especially when overhauled.    Cheers    JACK

QUESTION: What site do you recommend to sell?

Hello Jerry,
As it happens, I sold my clarinet on Ebay,and it sold within 3 days with a 'buy it now' price, from someone who knows about clarinets...There is a glut of clarinets on Ebay at the moment with plenty of buyers all willing to pay far less than what a good clarinet is worth....You live in a major city, so you might also want to try newspapers,music schools or schools that have good music programs....Check Ebay for prices of similar clarinets [in your R-13,but a few hundred less],and price your clarinet accordingly..If you want to sell within USA  only, the postage will be  much less than overseas, and if you pay postage, you may get a quicker sale.....If your clarinet needs any attention, get it fixed...If overhauled and you have the receipt to prove it, that is avery  good selling point, as is  a brand new carry case [about $70]....Nothing turns off buyers more than a smelly case which transfersthe smell onto the clarinet,which it does.. ....If someone is coming to your house to try it, the purchase of a good woodwind oil [  or almond oil] to oil/polish the clarinet to a shiny finish also helps presentation,and is good for the wood....Cheers    JACK

jack wiard

my 'area of expertise' is traditional jazz...i have had classical training...i am from san francisco,came to australia in 1971 to teach h.s. music...resigned to play full time music in 1975 [to present]

i have played with the graeme bell allstars [25 yrs] ray price quintet [5 yrs], led own groups [20 yrs]..played in all the major australian jazz festivals, played 2 yrs with local symphony most recorded jazz clarinetist in oz [39 recordings]..can be heard on you tube

on committee of clarinet soc. of n.s.w for 7 yrs...[now defunct]

a.a. degree,b.mus degree, secondary teaching credential