Clarinet/identifing a clarinet

the clarinet I have is wood I believe made in france and the only other feature is HS with a star symbol.  I am just interested to know more about this instrument.  I looked for a serial no. which my bass and flute have but found only the above markings. Thank you for any information you can share.

Hello Renee,
The H.S on your clarinet stands for Henry Selmer ,so at least you know your clarinet is a Selmer...The Selmers made in Paris usually have the word 'Paris ' on the bell.Use a magnifying glass on your clarinet to see if any serial numbers can be found...Look on the underside, where the upper and lower joint connect together....For all the serial numbers to have worn off means your clarinet would have had heavy use...I could only hazard a guess that the  *  emblem could be what is left of  a Selmer Series 9 * clarinet  from around 1960....These were fine clarinets that come up very well with an overhaul......Cheers    JACK

jack wiard

my 'area of expertise' is traditional jazz...i have had classical training...i am from san francisco,came to australia in 1971 to teach h.s. music...resigned to play full time music in 1975 [to present]

i have played with the graeme bell allstars [25 yrs] ray price quintet [5 yrs], led own groups [20 yrs]..played in all the major australian jazz festivals, played 2 yrs with local symphony most recorded jazz clarinetist in oz [39 recordings]..can be heard on you tube

on committee of clarinet soc. of n.s.w for 7 yrs...[now defunct]

a.a. degree,b.mus degree, secondary teaching credential