Clarinet/Buffet Clarinet

Question
I have a Buffet Clarinet, AParis, Made in Germany.  Serial Number 242435.  Crampon & Cie.  The keys appear to be silver or silver plated.  Can you tell me anything about this clarinet, i.e., professional or student?  And can you tell me its worth?

Answer
Hello Sherry,
Your clarinet serial number comes from 1983...Because it says 'Made in Germany', it would most likely be an E11 or E12..Unfortunately, Buffet does not stamp the Model name on the clarinet, as some manufacturers do...To find out the model, you would have to write or email Buffet, or perhaps a large retailer would have a book with serial numbers/models to look up.... ..It would most likely be an R-13 because they are made in France...As to value, it all depends the the condition of the clarinet...If it is an E11, it is an intermediate level clarinet, which one can buy new at some USA retailers for $850,according to ads now online...If it is an E12, it is a good/excellent quality student grade instrument ,which is at the moment advertised online [new]  at $1300....Because your clarinet is 30 years old,it would not be worth these prices unless it was in new [overhauled] condition,with  a good [non smelly] carry case...You could also check EBAY to see the market selling value and compare your clarinet with those prices...Cheers...JACK

Clarinet

jack wiard