Clarinet/Vintage clarinets

Question
Hi, I inherited two clarinets formerly owned by a Boston symphony player.  One is a B flat Buffet, with serial number 880S1.  The other we think is an A (missing a pad so won't play), by A. Robert, serial numbers 367 (bottom piece) and 440 (top piece).  Is it worth getting both repaired?  The wood is in fine shape, but the pads, corks and keys need help.

Answer
Hello Heidi,
Buffet clarinets   with the serial numbers  2 through 999 ending with S1  were manufactured during the year 1926 so that would be the year of your BUFFET.  I recently spent $450 for a complete overhaul on a 'pre R-13 clarinet [circa 1948] and it was an outstanding player.I sold it for $2,000...I suspect that your 1926 er  would come out the same, but you probably could not expect that much because of its' age... A player in the  Boston symphony would want to be playing a quality instrument and Buffet has always had excellent clarinets in its' professional model range of instruments.   I could find nothing on A. Roberts clarinets..The 440 number might be a reference to the tuned pitch of the instrument [A=440].....Cheers   JACK    
P.S.   A good quality overhauled name brand A clarinet could fetch up to $2000. but unfortunately, yours in an unknown [little known] brand.

Clarinet

jack wiard