Clarinet/Clarinet playing throat air leakage

When I play, air leaks in my throat to my nose. It a very abnoxious sound and it is a squeaking sound (sounds like when you try to hold a laugh in and some comes out) I have become very self conscious of it because honors band is coming up. Please help!!! I can send you a sound recording over email if you'd like.

I am not totally sure.  This may be a medical issue.  I will tell you that many times we hear things happening that are not audible to the others around us.  What I can suggest is to make sure you are keeping your air pressure consistent into the horn.  If this doesn't help, please consult an ENT doctor.  I can tell you that I have had many kids come to auditions with these sort of issues that don't affect the grade I give them.  Be confident and know your stuff ESPECIALLY sight reading and you should do fine.  I hope this helps.

Guy Percy

I can answer basic playing questions and I can answer questions about repair/maintenance.

I have taught middle school band and orchestra for 17 years. I also own a band instrument repair business.

BM Jazz Performance BA Music Ed MA Music(composition emphasis).