Clarinet/Clarinet from an estate sale

hello, thank you for your time...
   I received a clarinet that has the name HENRI LA VELLA , and a # D705, the elderly lady said it was her husbands in school. said he passed 8 years ago at the age of 74.... hoping you may know more about this item ? Thank you so much

Hello Richard,
You did not specify if the clarinet is  made of wood or is  a silver clarinet...They made both. The only information I could find is that they were imported to the USA from 1921 onwards by a music imstrument importer Henri Grosman.  [ The name Henri La Vella sounds French or Italian]..Since there is relatively little information on these clarinets, I believe it falls into the category of  a 'no name' instrument, which means at best, you could expect no more than a few hundred dollars, if the instrument was in excellent condition..          Cheers  JACK

jack wiard

my 'area of expertise' is traditional jazz...i have had classical training...i am from san francisco,came to australia in 1971 to teach h.s. music...resigned to play full time music in 1975 [to present]

i have played with the graeme bell allstars [25 yrs] ray price quintet [5 yrs], led own groups [20 yrs]..played in all the major australian jazz festivals, played 2 yrs with local symphony most recorded jazz clarinetist in oz [39 recordings]..can be heard on you tube

on committee of clarinet soc. of n.s.w for 7 yrs...[now defunct]

a.a. degree,b.mus degree, secondary teaching credential