Clarinet/clarinet

Question
I have a 1973 Evette bufett crampon wood clarinet. It needs a "mechanical overhaul" per the music shop I went to, new cork, pads, etc. It was the one I played 25 years ago when I was a kid in band that my mom bought at a garage sale for $75. It will cost $300. Is it worth it? I saw some clarinets on amazon for $100-$150. My 10 year old daughter wants to play it in band. Should I spend the $300 or buy one for less? If I rent or buy one from the music store it will cost $1300. What should I do?

Answer
Hello,
  The old Buffet clarinets are usually really solid horns.  Especially wood.  It will be worth the cost to overhaul.  If your daughter goes into any marching band(on a weekly basis) then she would be better off with a "plastic" clarinet for that use.  I hope this helps.

Guy

Clarinet

Guy Percy