Clarion/Network speed

Question
We recently upgraded our network, new server running Windows 7 Professional.  We also upgraded all wiring to Cat 6, highspeed 24 port switch, upgraded all ethernet cards.  We have about 8 workstations all running XP.  Our software was written in Clarion 5.  My problem is running a process on a workstation vs. directly on the server.  These processes generally loop though our database which resides on the server, about 50,000 records, and adds up daily sales or inventory.  We have several different processes but they all work pretty much the same way.

Here's my problem, when running the process on a workstation it can take 3-6 minutes to complete.  Running the same process on the same data directly on the server takes only 3-4 seconds.  I realize that the workstations will be somewhat slower, but this is unacceptable.  I have had two local computer gurus look at this but have not come up with an answer.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Fred

Answer
Keep in mind that when data is sorted on the server and you're running the program from the workstation each record read has to be transferred to the workstation and if changes made the results transferred back. That will dramatically slow. To get the best possible performance without rewriting the app, make sure your machines all have gigabit network cards and you have a gigabit switch.

Drew

Clarion

Drew Bourrut