Clarion/Dos to windows

Hi we have a point of sale system written in clarion 2.1 and were wondering what is the most effecient way to convert to windows with minimal downtime.Secondly out stock database has over 15 million records and we want to know how we jump to line numbers over the 9 million mark as scanner dows not allow anything more than that . Your help with this regard will be highly appreciated

Sorry for the delay in responding. I did not see your message when it was originally posted.

Sadly, the best way to convert a Clarion app from DOS to Windows is for a developer to use the original app as a specification and simply build a new app. There are, unfortunately, no short cuts.

I probably don't have an answer for you on the second part. It sounds like the better solution might be to see if the scanner software can be changed to allow more than "9 million."

Drew Bourrut

As Clarion programmer since version 2.0 for DOS (1988), I am a consultant who specializes in Clarion programming. I have converted systems from DOS to Windows and have worked with every version of Clarion for Windows. My background has also included teaching database design, SQL programming, project management, and programming in a variety of languages from COBOL to PL/I. I have been a consultant since 1974 and a programmer since 1966.

Clarion allows me to write for a number of unrelated businesses. I've written applications that are accessible only via the web as well as communications applications and also large (more than 270 procedures) applications for service-oriented businesses.