Classic/Antique Car Repair/1957 chevy car

Car has a 283v8 no fire to spark plugs- car turns over- brake light signal light work but headlights don't????  thanks Dan

No fire to the plugs points to the ignition system. Now, is this something that has just happened or is this a car that you are just putting together? If it has just happened and previously the car was running fine the problem is probably:
1. the ignition points or condenser.
2. the ignition coil
3. A wiring problem from the ignition switch
4. A cracked distributor cap, a defective wire from the coil to the center tower of the distributor cap, or shorted rotor
If the car will attempt to start as long as the switch is cranking the engine then the problem is probably the ignition ballast resistor.

Classic/Antique Car Repair

Brad Sears

All automotive including antique and collectible. However if the car has been modified I can only answer in general terms and maybe get you pointed in the right direction.

Automotive tech instructor. Syndicated auto columnist 1970's though the early 1990's. Syndicated auto radio talk show, Ask Brad About cars, CBS Radio 70's through 90's TV Show "Last Chance Garage" 1980's PBS-TV syndicated. Auto instructor for the following companies: Fram Autolyte Holly Carter AMF Ford Motor University Of Conn Blue Hills Technical School Sugar River Technical Center Grew up in a family garage in Needham Mass and turned wrenches from the age of 14.

Manchester Union Leader, Nashua Telegraph, Motor Service Magazine, Yankee Magazine, Popular Mechanics (Saturday Mechanic early 80's), Los Angeles Times, New York Times, and lots more.

More than I care to remember. Basically Franklin Technical Institute in Boston, Northeastern University, Fitchburg State Teachers College, Tufts University, and a lot of factory schools along the way.

Moto Award winner. And much more.