Classic/Antique Car Repair/Starting issues

I have a 1966 ford mustang with a 6 cylinder.  I am having an issue where the car will not start but the positive cable from the battery to the starter got extremely hot and started to melt.  I had the starter tested and it is good.  Any suggestions?

hi Jeff:
Make sure the cable isn't touching any other metal component.
That will short it out and create sparks that will make it melt.

Also, if the cable is getting that hot naturally, it is bad or
the wrong gauge cable for the battery and starter. Put a new
cable on it and make sure there is no other metal contact between
the battery and the starter connections.

Classic/Antique Car Repair

Vern Bullock

I can answer most questions about autos built in the 1920 through 1990. Mechanical issues and technical questions are my expertise. I also have a general knowledge of most older automobiles. Keep in mind, I can only provide answers if the questions are very specific and complete. Without details, I can only speculate and that's not good for solving your problem.

I have owned and maintained Silver Shadows for over 10 years now. I find most mechanics and even Rolls Royce mechanics have very little knowledge about these automobiles. I have researched these cars in quite a bit of detail and can pretty much tell you what is wrong, if you can describe the behavior in detail. I have saved quite a few RR owners a lot of money and aggravation due to improper diagnosis. I am the owner of Classy Transportation, LLC a luxury limousine service specializing in antique cars, classic cars, vintage cars and exotic cars.

All around the Internet

I hold a BS degree in computer science and a MS degree in mechanical engineering.

I regularly compete at car shows and average around a dozen awards annually.

See Web site at: