Classic/Antique Car Repair/1953 chevy lifters

I have a 1953 Chevy I recently purchased . It has a 235 6 cylinder engine which I think is original to the car, it has solid lifters and I would like to change it to hydraulic, how much would I have to change ,or is it even possible?

Perry Grose

Now you are taxing the old gray matter that is located between my ears. I am not sure that this conversion is possible. The lifters need full oil pressure from the main oil galley. There are drilled holes from the galley to each lifter bore in the hydraulic equipped engine and I don't think that the holes are present in the adjustable lifter engines. So, that means that in order to do the conversion the engine would need to be stripped and the lifter bores machined for oil passages.  

Classic/Antique Car Repair

Brad Sears

All automotive including antique and collectible. However if the car has been modified I can only answer in general terms and maybe get you pointed in the right direction.

Automotive tech instructor. Syndicated auto columnist 1970's though the early 1990's. Syndicated auto radio talk show, Ask Brad About cars, CBS Radio 70's through 90's TV Show "Last Chance Garage" 1980's PBS-TV syndicated. Auto instructor for the following companies: Fram Autolyte Holly Carter AMF Ford Motor University Of Conn Blue Hills Technical School Sugar River Technical Center Grew up in a family garage in Needham Mass and turned wrenches from the age of 14.

Manchester Union Leader, Nashua Telegraph, Motor Service Magazine, Yankee Magazine, Popular Mechanics (Saturday Mechanic early 80's), Los Angeles Times, New York Times, and lots more.

More than I care to remember. Basically Franklin Technical Institute in Boston, Northeastern University, Fitchburg State Teachers College, Tufts University, and a lot of factory schools along the way.

Moto Award winner. And much more.