Classic/Antique Car Repair/1953 chevy lifters

Question
I have a 1953 Chevy I recently purchased . It has a 235 6 cylinder engine which I think is original to the car, it has solid lifters and I would like to change it to hydraulic, how much would I have to change ,or is it even possible?

Perry Grose

Answer
Now you are taxing the old gray matter that is located between my ears. I am not sure that this conversion is possible. The lifters need full oil pressure from the main oil galley. There are drilled holes from the galley to each lifter bore in the hydraulic equipped engine and I don't think that the holes are present in the adjustable lifter engines. So, that means that in order to do the conversion the engine would need to be stripped and the lifter bores machined for oil passages.  

Classic/Antique Car Repair

Brad Sears