Classic/Antique Car Repair/Electrical

Question
I have a 1963 Studebaker GT Hawk with a 12V system. It has a stock 289 Studebaker engine and an automatic transmission.

Drove it one day and all was fine. The next day it did not want to turn over. Put a charger on it with the battery disconnected.When I hooked up the battery cable the motor started turning over without the key being on.

I have replaced the starter solenoid and ignition switch and checked all the fuses, all good.

The battery tests out good but, the headlights went from barely on to now nothing. No lights what so ever. It seems like something is draining the battery. Unfortunetely, the fuse box has been replaced by a former owner to the new style fuses.

Answer
Oh boy! Electrical problems after some one has Mickey Moused the system can be a real night mare. This is one that I would start by isolating circuits one by one until I found the one causing the problem. That means that I would start by disconnecting the wire at the solenoid that comes from the ignition switch and connecting a voltmeter to it. Then connect the battery (making sure that it has a full charge)and read the voltmeter. If there is voltage there then that wire i shorted to a live wire some where in the harness. If there is no voltage then turn the key to start. The voltmeter should now show battery voltage. Let go of the key and the voltage should drop to zero. If the test fails, move back to the back of the ignition switch. Remove the wire that runs to the solenoid and attach the voltmeter to the switch terminal and repeat the test. If it test OK here then the problem is in the wiring between the switch and the solenoid. If it fails here the problem is the switch. I believe that the solenoid has two small wires on it. One is to energize the starter and the other is the ignition ballast resistor bypass during cranking. Make sure that these are connected correctly.  

Classic/Antique Car Repair

Brad Sears