Classic/Antique Car Repair/Interchangable parts

I have a commode A with a Murray body. Can you tell me what years are interchangeable with mine and what the best books are to assist me in restoring it?

I can't help you with this question.  What year is your car?  I don't know what a commode A is.  The '28 and '29 had most things common, and the same for the '30 '31.  
If you intend to restore it, I suggest you join MARC, or MAFCA, and a local club if there is one near you.  That would provide the best help.  In MARC, we have a technical director that may answer your question.  Ron Ehrenhofer at
He knows all about the interchangeability.  
As for books, the best one is the Model A mechanic's handbook by Les Andrews.  The red book.  He put out a few.  I wrote a small fix-it book for road repairs that you can preview at  Just search for jackbahm or "Get a Horse".  Snyders has both books.  Marc has several books you can get from them on the restoration process.  They are listed on their site and their "Model A News" you get when you join.  Their number is 734 427 9050.  They can tell you if a local club is near you.  
You will have more fun with that car if you belong to a club.  The outings are fun.  Also, go to and search for jackbahm.  You will find many Model A videos I have on there.  They may be of some help.
Good luck and get back to me if you have any questions on repairing it. jack

Classic/Antique Car Repair

jack bahm

Only repair type questions on the 1928-1931 Ford Model A.

Owned one when I was 15 yrs old, and now have owned 5. Still own and play with 2 of them.

Oakleaf region of MARC. Model A Restorers Club. I have put several Model A videos on the Oakleaf site that may be of help. Things like how to start the A, how to Time it, how to troubleshoot it.. Go to and you will find them. Also, go to and search for "jackbahm" and you will find over a hundred videos. Many about the Model A and our outings. jack

"More than you need to know about cars." Just a small book for Car Nuts. "Model A Ford Tips and Hints" "Get A Horse" (What to do when Henry's Lady quits on you.) or Snyder's Antique Parts. "Engineering Stuff" (For the Kid who likes to take things apart and get them back together). Kids book for ages 10-16. 2012 Many Model A movies that can be found on

BSME LSU, 1958, Masters of automotive engineering from the Chrysler Institute of engineering, 1960, MBA Mich State, 1976. Worked as an engineer at Chrysler from 1958 to the end of 1991.

Two patents while working in auto industry. Go to this site for my Model A videos.