Classic/Antique Car Repair/clutch plate frozen

I have a 48 flathead V-8 (59A)with a popular after market adapter to a T-5 tranny.  All components are new and the engine/ tranny have been setting in the car about 4 years.  Body is now back on the frame and after hooking up the clutch pedal the clutch does not engage fully.  The throwout bearing engages the pressure plate but the three fingers on the pressure plate appear to be frozen and will not budge.  Everything in the linkage look right and the clutch parts look right, but?  I hate to force fingers on the pressure plate but maybe that's what I need to do, don't know?  What would you suggest.  Thanks.

First check to make sure that outboard end of the clutch fork is not hitting the bell housing. If that is not the case then, well I hate to say it but if the job was in my shop and the clutch would not depress with foot pressure I would have the transmission out. Then the pressure plate out. I would also check to make sure that the throw out bearing and collar was not cocking on the sleeve and binding. With the pressure plat on the floor you should be able to depress the fingers by standing on them using your heel. In my shop I use my hydraulic press to check then for movement.

Classic/Antique Car Repair

Brad Sears

All automotive including antique and collectible. However if the car has been modified I can only answer in general terms and maybe get you pointed in the right direction.

Automotive tech instructor. Syndicated auto columnist 1970's though the early 1990's. Syndicated auto radio talk show, Ask Brad About cars, CBS Radio 70's through 90's TV Show "Last Chance Garage" 1980's PBS-TV syndicated. Auto instructor for the following companies: Fram Autolyte Holly Carter AMF Ford Motor University Of Conn Blue Hills Technical School Sugar River Technical Center Grew up in a family garage in Needham Mass and turned wrenches from the age of 14.

Manchester Union Leader, Nashua Telegraph, Motor Service Magazine, Yankee Magazine, Popular Mechanics (Saturday Mechanic early 80's), Los Angeles Times, New York Times, and lots more.

More than I care to remember. Basically Franklin Technical Institute in Boston, Northeastern University, Fitchburg State Teachers College, Tufts University, and a lot of factory schools along the way.

Moto Award winner. And much more.